Policy measures to reduce the impact of over-tourism in the European Union
In collaboration with Breda University, University of Brighton, Lund University, Ostelea School of Tourism and Hospitality and University of Lleida we investigated the scale, major causes and challenges resulting from overtourism in the European Union. The growing tourism sector might have a profound negative impact on local social and environmental balances in the European Union. For this reason, we developed policy actions to overcome the negative effects of the overflow of tourists in European Union destinations.
- The European Parliament received a comprehensive overview of the situation in the European Union concerning the overcrowding of the tourist destinations
- Policy makers can use a set of criteria to identify at the early stages the treat of over-tourism in the European Union tourist destinations
- Practical policy responses by means of scenario planning
- Workable conclusions and suggestions on policy actions at EU-level based on 40 case studies and a professionals survey
- Overtourism indicators, management approaches implemented within different destinations and assessment of policy responses